This post is inspired by my friend Brian Green who posted his own list of 10 random things on his About Page. I have 45 minutes left in my work day and this just seemed to be more fun than working on something more legitimate.
- I began cooking when I was ten. I learned all the family dishes on a 100 year old cast iron skillet.
- When I was 12 I did my first “unsupervised” overnight fishing trip along a 10 mile stretch of the Little Juniata with my friend Gunner who is a year or so younger than me.
- I think the commercial food system is complete bullshit. But it’s on us to know what we put in our bodies. I support local organic farmers. Just wish there were more of them out there.
- My philosophy on gear (or clothes in general) is to find the one perfect for me and my specific needs, and then buy it in every color or variation.
- I will aggressively pursue anything that triggers my inner passions. I will indefinitely procrastinate on anything else.
- I still hold the high jump record for my high school. It was originally set by Bob Mathias, the 2 time gold medal decathlete.
- When I was 9 years old, I had the pleasure of sharing a dinner with Art Rooney, now deceased owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I thought he was Colonel Sanders!
- I plan to move my family to Colorado, buy land, and live off the grid. Of course, the trick will be finding land close to town (Ft. Collins) that fits my plans. I don’t want to be completely disconnected!
- I am deeply moved by music. But I can’t sing a lick. I like covers of popular songs reworked by unknown artists that are better than the originals. Thank you YouTube for that.
- For me, being on the trail has very little to do with the pace or distance. I like the absence of all the noise that the real world produces. That said, a perfect day is when we log 10-12 miles with lots of scrambles, a few “oh shit” moments, and a still cold summit beer.
Thanks to Brian for inspiring this post. It was fun to write and I would encourage you to do the same. Anything on my list that resonates with you too? When was your first fishing trip?