Gear Review: Avex Stainless Steel Water Bottle Comparison
The Avex stainless steel water bottle sets a new standard
I was sent both versions of the Avex® water bottles for testing and comparison a few months ago. One unit is equipped with Autospout™ technology that releases a drink tube when the button is pressed and the other with Autoseal® technology that seals between drinks virtually eliminating spills.
Last year, I spent a significant amount of time discussing hydration as part of the Hydration Summit. One of the things I learned from that exchange was that we tend to drink more on the trail (or in the office) if the process is easy.
The Avex Stainless Steel Water Bottle makes drinking as easy as possible.
The technical specs
- Both stainless steel water bottles are double walled with vacuum insulation
- Drinking with one hand is easy
- Integrated spout guards can be closed to protect the drink tube or valve
- Each comes with an integrated carabiner style handle
- Both stainless steel water bottles are made of 100% FDA approved, BPA-free materials
- Units can be washed on the top shelf of the dishwasher
- Each holds 24 oz
- Fits in cup holders in both of our vehicles
A closer look at Autoseal® and Autospout™ technology
When these two stainless steel water bottles arrived, my wife immediately snatched up the one with the straw. Avex has created a very cool spout for this unit that collapses with just the pressure of a single finger. It stows away behind a cap that protects it from dirt or grubby little hands (we have 4 of those hands in our house!).
Avex refers to this as their Autospout technology and my wife loves it. She has used this water bottle exclusively for the last two months at home, work, and in between.
It’s also a very kid friendly spout. Spills are non-existent and the button is easy enough for them to operate with their little hands.
The Autospout works flawlessly with just a push of the button and closes almost as easily. There have been zero leaks or spills since we began testing it.
The unit that I have been testing personally leverages what Avex calls their Autoseal technology. Again, a simple push of a button opens the drinking spout and liquid free pours with just a tip of the bottle.
Free pour means more intake
Unlike many other bottles that I’ve used, the free pouring spout on the Avex bottle with Autoseal technology doesn’t produce the chugging sound, whistle, or vibrate from the flow of air and liquid inside the bottle. It truly is a free pour and it delivers water (or whatever you load it with) with quickness.
That actually took a bit of getting used to. The kids have a bit of trouble regulating the flow and usually end up wearing a bit of it.
But the upside, like Derek mentioned in his review, is that I find I am drinking more water each day. And that is a very good thing.
Things to consider
Overall, I love both versions of the Avex stainless steel water bottles. But there are a few things to consider if you are in the market for a new stainless steel water bottle.
- Consider how you will use the bottle – these may be heavier than some would like if pack weight is a concern for you
- These bottles will not work for hot or carbonated beverages
- Both bottles fit snug into our two vehicles’ cup holders – a little slimmer design would make them slide in and out without sticking
- Choose the spout design based on your activity – the Autospout version allows you to keep your eyes on the terrain as you drink unlike the Autoseal version…good for hikers and trail runners
- Cleaning the Avex bottles by hand can be tricky – the spout mechanism is integrated into the lid and is not easily accessible
But here’s a tip: I clean all of my water bottles and hydration bladders with BottleBright from Clean Ethics. Give it a look and make cleaning easy.
The Bottom Line
The Avex Stainless Steel Water Bottles are now our go-to water bottles for travel and the trail. We have been using them continuously and exclusively since we got them in January.
I can't see a reason to change to anything else if 24 oz will serve my needs.
Disclosure: Avex provided the author with samples of both bottles to test at no cost but this in no way impacted the findings of the review. The statements and opinions in this review are the author’s only and were not guided or influenced in any way.